search

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

Founded in 1870, the Museum opened the doors of its Copley Square building to the public on July 4, 1876, later moving to its present Huntington Avenue location, which opened on November 9,1909. The MFA welcomes approximately one million visitors each year from neighboring communities and around the globe. It is one of the great encyclopedic art museums in the world, with collections comprising more than 450,000 objects representing all periods and cultures. 

The MFA's mission is to serve a wide variety of people—from schoolchildren to adults—through direct encounters with works of art. In addition to housing renowned collections, the Museum also offers numerous exhibitions and opportunities for learning and community engagement. Underscoring this mission in recent years has been the Museum's major expansion and renovation project, which has increased and enhanced space for the MFA's collection, exhibitions, educational programs, and conservation facilities, as well as improve wayfinding throughout the Museum. Designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architects Foster + Partners (London), the project has as its focal points the Art of the Americas Wing and the Ruth and Carl J. Shapiro Family Courtyard, which opened in 2010. In 2011, the MFA opened its new Linde Family Wing for Contemporary Art, which features seven new galleries that complement existing galleries and social spaces within the wing.