search

Longwood Gardens

In 1906, industrialist Pierre S. du Pont (1870-1954) purchased a small farm near Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, to save a collection of historic trees from being sold for lumber. Today, Longwood Gardens is one of the great gardens of the world encompassing 1,083 acres of fountains and lakes, woodlands and forests, topiaries and hillsides, an 86-acre meadow, a 4.5-acre conservatory, and resident instruments including a 10,010-pipe organ and 62-bell carillon and tower. Through exhibitions, musical performances, renowned horticulture education and training programs, horticulture research, environmental stewardship and community engagement initiatives, Longwood embodies its mission set forth by Mr. du Pont to inspire people through excellence in garden design, horticulture, education, and the arts.