For all inquiries, please contact :
Coordinator of Research Program La Seine
Tel : + 33 (0)1 47 03 54 01
Fax : + 33 (0)1 47 03 50 80
The Research Program La Seine focuses on emerging artists, whether French or foreign, who have completed a Masters degree (European Standard), or equivalent. The Program offers such students the opportunity to further on going artistic projects in a professional context. By positioning the projects within the École, participants will benefit from the rich and varied resources and artistic practices available at the École.
Since 2009, in addition to the technical and critical support of the creative practice, this research program has proposed a theoretical approach to student research, and a professional implantation of the artistic work. To obtain the research degree at the end of this two-year program, each student will propose an exhibition at a professional site, accompanied by a publication.
The Program’s educational approach hinges on the exchange of knowledge and skills involved in artistic thought and practice. In addition to broadening students’ knowledge, the program ensures that they do their creative work under professional conditions. The group dynamic and interactive nature of the program encourages artists to “compare notes” on their individual studio practices and exercise their critical faculties together. A research seminar, meetings with accomplished artists and professional practitioners of contemporary art, and individual critical support further this stimulating and enriching experience for emerging artists.
Organization and courses
La Seine is a two year program, organized in four semesters. It runs for two nine-month periods starting in October and ending in June, with four to six new participants selected each year.
During each academic year, La Seine organizes:
- Meetings with visiting artists, curators, critics and key personalities in the art world.
- Presentations of work in progress, followed by a question/answer and discussion period on a regular basis in the studio context. Tutoring the group to best present their work in a professional context, followed by individual presentations of their work in professional situations.
- Regular studio meetings to discuss organizational issues related to the program that address the collective and individual needs of the group.
- Extracurricular projects: each year the students in La Seine make a subsidized trip to a foreign country for approximately one month. With the aid of La Seine and the school’s exchange program, a collaborative project is established with foreign institutions.
Critical and technical support
During the course of the Program, each student is provided with a dedicated team of pedagogical supervisors:
– Tony Brown, director;
– Patrick Raynaud, professor;
– A guest participant in charge of the annual research seminar of the Program. In 2009/2010, Paul Sztulman ran this seminar;
– Guest participants likes artists, professors, art critics, directors of institutions, curators, etc.
In order to assist with their projects, students in La Seine have:
– individual supervision
– a studio located in the centre of the École which is shared with other students in the Program, the three level Atelier Devot: the first floor is the studio workspace, the second level is a mezzanine equipped for the production of new media digital work, and the top floor is reserved for meetings and discussion sessions;
–access to all the École’s computer facilities, production equipment, as well as advice from professionals in charge of the technical workshops (woodwork, metalwork, photo-etching, digital imagery, photography, video and sound recording). Students of the Program may also attend all the art theory lectures provided by the school for regular students;
– an extraordinary library and media department housing a large collection of historical and contemporary material available to the students to aid in their research and cultural development.
– a grant for research and production of up to 3 000 EURO annually, depending on each student ‘s level of participation in the Program.
– the school has an arrangement with The Cité Internationale des arts: Each year, two apartments are offered to students of the Program. The students are chosen by the admission jury.
Deadline for applications : June 7th, 2010 (Postmark date)
Information about the Program, applications and admission procedures are available at the School or on its website:
For further information, please contact:
Vincent Gonzalvez :
Tel : + 33 (0)1 47 03 54 01 – Fax : + 33 (0)1 47 03 50 80