The Dept of Design at KHiB offers a position as Professor/Associate professor (100%) in web- and interaction design with 6 year tenure. The position is available from 1 January 2012.
The ideal candidate has a strong visual aesthetic and interdisciplinary orientation and should be conceptually oriented with experience from several of the following areas: web-design, system design, social networks/interactive media as well as other forms of digitally based interaction design.
We are looking for a highly motivated designer with the ability to inspire and encourage our students. The candidate will also be given responsibility for developing artistic research within the field. The candidate is required to teach courses at the Dept of Design and offer individual and group tutoring of students on BA and MA levels. Teaching will consist of lectures and studio classes and is expected to include instruction in relevant software, programming, methodology, web- and system design and Experience in prototyping, design for mobile or portable media, visual information design and processing, multimedia/interactive storytelling and other fields bordering design, technology and culture will be considered beneficial.
In addition to teaching duties (including preparation and follow-up) and tutoring (BA and MA), the position requires responsibility for organising and facilitating artistic research in the subject area and dissemination, as well as managerial and administrative duties. Planning, facilitation and day to day managerial duties require flexible use of the department and Academy’s joint resources. As a member of the academic staff, the candidate is expected to be jointly responsible for managing the subject area and to actively contribute to the development of the subject area/department’s profile and programme. The candidate will be required to generate development within the subject area in close communication with colleagues and students of the subject area/department and through cooperation with the Academy’s other subject areas.
The academic staff at Bergen National Academy of the Arts is required to conduct artistic research (FoU). The position’s time schedule has been adjusted to comply with this requirement, and significant resources have been allocated to this task. Accordingly, research in the subject area will be highly prioritised for the position. Cooperation and contact with other educational institutions and relevant partners are considered essential duties. Professional suggestions and contributions in order to strengthen the Academy’s professional discourse is expected, as well as external proliferation of the institution through e.g. professional local, national and international networks.
Applicants are required to demonstrate:
– Ability to work constructively with others, with an emphasis on dialogue and academic communication
– Justified attitudes and visions on design research
– Teaching skills and dedication
In addition the following qualifications will be emphasised:
– A comprehensive approach to design from a social and theoretical perspective
– Visions for higher art- and design educations
– Organisational skills and experience
For the position as Professor the applicant must demonstrate:
– Extensive design proficiency on a high international level
– Broad and extensive professional activity in the field of design
– Teaching experience preferably on University level or similar professional teaching experience
For the position as Associate Professor the applicant must demonstrate:
– Well documented design experience/research on a high international level with specialisation relevant to the position/subject area
– The highest level of education in the subject area from Norway or similar education from abroad – or equally documented skills.
– Practical-pedagogical education or teaching experience to lower and/or higher grade students and/or other professional experience with dissemination of professional activity
Read more about Application criteria, Professional assessment and Salary.
The application deadline is 5 September 2011. Please submit your application to: Kunsthøgskolen i Bergen, Strømgt. 1, N-5015 BERGEN.