Mildred Lane Kemper Art MuseumSeeks an Associate Curator of Collections
The Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts at Washington University in St. Louis seeks an Associate Curator of Collections for the Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum. Founded in 1881, the Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum is a nationally accredited university art museum with significant holdings in the areas of international modern and contemporary art. Primary responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to research, exhibition, interpretation, publication, and development of the Museum’s permanent collection. The successful candidate will also pursue active relationships within the national and international community of scholars, artists, and their representatives. The 2006 opening of the Kemper Art Museum’s new building has enhanced the Museum’s capacity to actively shape programs designed to rethink the discipline of art history and its interpretations, to broaden disciplinary boundaries, and to reconsider the intellectual, historical, and social contexts within which we position the work of art.
The Associate Curator of Collections is a senior staff position reporting to the Director and
– Conduct research on the permanent collection and organize installation rotations.
– Develop and write scholarly publications related to the permanent collection.
– Develop, coordinate, and execute Focus series exhibitions based on the permanent collection.
– Oversee and contribute to the monthly Spotlight series of essays on the permanent collection.
– In conjunction with the Education Department, implement public and interdisciplinary educational programs related to the permanent collection, including lectures and docent training.
– Assist the Director and Chief Curator with the development of the permanent collection,
– Assist the Director and Chief Curator in developing broad Museum support, including fundraising, donor relations, and public relations.
– Write grants and pursue external funding for special projects.
– Teach one course per academic year in area of expertise.
– Participate in interdisciplinary initiatives of the Sam Fox School.
– Ph.D. in Art History, with a field of expertise in modern art before 1950.
– A minimum of three years museum experience and demonstrated excellence with acquisitions, installations, and exhibitions.
– Proficiency in one or more foreign languages appropriate to the field of scholarship with fluency strongly preferred.
– Strong written and verbal communication skills.
– Record of scholarly achievement and publications.
– Teaching experience preferred.
To apply, please visit the Washington University employment website at https://www.wustlcareers.com requisition number 081337, or paste the quicklink provided below into your internet browser’s
Additionally, please send publication samples, and names and phone numbers of three references to:
Dr. Sabine Eckmann, Ph.D.
Director and Chief Curator
Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum
Campus Box 1214
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130
Preference will be given to applications received by March 15, 2008
Washington University in St. Louis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
For more information about the Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum, please visit: http://kemperartmuseum.wustl.edu/
For more information go to: http://kemperartmuseum.wustl.edu/