The Provost will be an innovative intellectual leader with proven ability to guide a top tier art and design institution with a high level of transparency and accountability. Serving as Art Center’s chief academic officer, the Provost will lead faculty department chairs in the coordination of the college’s academic programs. S/he will have a strong appreciation for and commitment to faculty governance, and will have proven ability to develop administrative and financial structures to advance programmatic and service goals. In partnership with the college’s key stakeholders, the Provost will help to design and build innovative art and design platforms. Additionally, the provost will supervise student-related functions and services and will assist the President in various external activities, including fundraising.
The Provost may come from a variety of professional backgrounds including graphic design; industrial design; education; advertising/creative arts; illustration and animation; fine arts management; film, theatre, media or TV; business or public administration. An advanced degree in a relevant field and/or experience in higher education administration is highly desirable; a proven track record of successful leadership, management, entrepreneurship and integrity is essential. Other traits desired in the next Provost of Art Center include:
• Demonstrated intellectual capacity and accomplishment in academic and/or art/design leadership;
• Broad knowledge of the art and design fields and of the critical issues that the art and design fields are currently facing;
• Commitment to education and a deep understanding of the structures and issues specific to educational governance and community building;
• College level design/art teaching experience;
• A record as a transparent, collaborative, and creative leader;
• Extensive managerial and operational experience within complex organizational settings;
• Exceptional relationship building and interpersonal skills; excellence in written and oral communications;
• Track record in strong fiscal management and in growing numerous sources of revenue;
• A strong, positive reputation within various professional networks;
• Proven ability to foster a positive culture within a complex organization, respecting diversity of all kinds;
• An understanding and appreciation of the power of art and design to drive positive change in the world and a desire to promote extraordinary opportunities for learning; and
• Uncompromising integrity.
Inquiries, nomination, and application information
Confidential inquiries, nominations, and applications are being accepted for the position. Candidates must submit a cover letter, a current resume, and the names of six (6) professional references to Isaacson, Miller:
Attn: David Bellshaw, Regan Gough and/or Martha Brest
Re: Provost, Art Center College of Design
Art Center College of Design is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and encourages women and minority candidates.